Building Permits

Victoria Harbour Wastewater Treatment Plant Capacity Upgrade

The Victoria Harbour wastewater treatment plant is currently operating at maximum capacity under our current Environmental Certificate of Approval with the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, and as a result Tay Township is not permitted to allow the building of any new or additional dwelling units in Victoria Harbour, and westward to, but not including, Triple Bay Road until additional capacity is brought online. Please note this only applies to properties which are connected to or are required to connect to municipal wastewater services, it does not apply to those who are on private septic systems outside of the wastewater collection service area.



We are using Cloudpermit for permit submission and review. Click the button below for more information and how-to guides. 


It is the law! It is illegal to conduct work without a permit. The Ontario Building Code Act mandates that permits be obtained. There are significant penalties for not obtaining permits or for starting construction without permits.

You need a permit for the following:

  • Sheds over 161 square feet (15 square meters).
  • Decks over 108 square feet (10 square meters).
  • For any structure attached to a building.
  • For any structural change to a building.
  • For any plumbing piping changes, fixture (sinks, toilets, etc.) location changes or additional fixtures.
  • To replace insulation and vapour barrier (no permit required to add insulation to an existing attic).
  • For any physical change to exits, halls, stairs or increased window openings of a building.
  • For any substantial change or addition to ductwork or ventilation of a building.
  • For a new septic or any change, repair or alteration to an existing septic.
  • For the demolition of a building (except farm buildings).
  • For the change of use of a building, for example a store to a restaurant.
  • For the installation of a wood burning appliance.
  • Raising a house or cottage to provide a crawlspace or full basement.
  • Construction of finished rooms in the basement or attic.
  • Installation of a swimming pool enclosure.
  • For a patio less than 23 5/8"(60 cm) in elevation, not attached to a building; and not over 108 square feet (10 square metres) in area.
  • For an shed less than 161 square feet (15 square meters).
  • For interior finish, exterior siding / finish and or decorative coverings and cabinetry.
  • Fences (other than swimming pool enclosures) that abide by the height restrictions and setback requirements listed in our General Zoning by-law. Tay Township Fencing and Pool Enclosure Information Pamphlet
  • Minor repairs to Masonry
  • Replacing siding or windows without structural changes
  • To replace shingles/roofing products etc. (repairs to a roof structure DOES need a Permit) 
  • Electrical Permits - Contact the Electrical Safety Authority 1-877-ESA-SAFE.
  • Natural Gas service and piping, contact the T.S.S.A. for permit and regulatory information.
  • Wells drilled or dug, contact Well Records 1-888-396-9355 for permit and regulatory information.
  • Docks, shoreline and in water projects, contact the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (705-746-2196) ; the Ministry of the Natural Resources (705-725-7500) for permit and regulatory information. *Note dock permits are available at the Township for Wycliffe Cove.

The Building Department has 10 business days to refuse or issue a building permit AFTER it has been approved by our Planning and Operations Departments.

The Building Department will contact you when the permit has been issued and is ready to be picked up or if additional information is required. 

Construction cannot commence until your permit has been issued and posted on site. 

For information on existing septic systems a septic file search can be completed. The cost of a septic file search is $75.00, accepted forms of payment are cash, cheque, or debit. Please allow 3-5 business for processing. Applications can be submitted to 

Tay Township
450 Park Street, PO Box 100
Victoria Harbour
ON L0K 2A0
Phone: 705-534-7248

Building Department
Permit Submission, Inquiries, and Inspection Booking

Mercia Barron
Protective and Development Administrative Assistant
705-534-7248 ext. 220

Christine Hardy
Building Inspector
705-534-7248 ext. 247 

Jason Craig
Manager of Building Services/Chief Building Official
705-534-7248 ext. 236

Scroll to top