Tay Township is taking steps to become a more age-friendly community, where all residents can be active and engaged members of the community at every stage of life.
VON Simcoe County Invites you to join the SMART Program (Seniors Maintaining Active Roles Together)®
Port McNicoll Community Centre - Tuesday's and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m.
Oakwood Community Centre - Thursday's at 10:00 a.m
- 45 minute low impact gentle exercise program specifically designed for adults 55+ to help build muscle strength, balance, endurance, flexibility and mobility
- This program is offered FREE of charge
✓ Good, supportive shoes to wear (running shoes preferred) ✓ Water bottle
✓ Exercise band (also available to purchase on site)
To register please contact the Georgian Bay SMART office at 705-355-2200 or walk-ins welcome!
Information and Resources
- Ontario Renovates- forgivable loan with an additional grant for an accessibility component.
- Age Friendly Seniors Grant (currently closed until May 2023)
- Dental, Dentures and Eyeglasses 705-722-3132 Ext 1109
- Housing Retention- rent and mortgage arrears, heat and hydro (must have a disconnect notice) as well as last month’s rent. 705-722-3132 Ext 1833.
- Dental for seniors over the age of 65, there is an income threshold of $22,200 for a single and $37,100 for a couple both age 65 or older.
- Membership subsidies as well as subsidized transportation to programming.
- Midland's newest Foodbank. An inclusive, unique, self-serve model for providing food to people who need it. The model is founded on dignity, respect, and human warmth.
- See what Active Living Programs are available through the Township of Tay Parks, Recreation and Facility Services
- The Victorian Order of Nurses (VON) is leading in-person 45 minute exercise classes as well as 1 hour exercise classes on Rogers Channel 53 every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 10 a.m. In addition, some other VON resources are:
- YouTube classes
- DVD video classes
- Zoom classes
- Healthy Aging Education series (virtual & in-person)
- Urban pole walking groups
For more information or to register for any of our exercise programs please call the Georgian Bay SMART office at 705-355-2200.
For interesting information on other things to do it the area, visit Arts and Culture
- Snow Angels Canada - Snow Angels Canada is an experiment in kindness: a way for Canadians to request assistance shovelling or to find others in need of such assistance. Whichever category you may fit into we hope Snow Angels Canada will serve your needs
- Seniors Knitting for Warm and Cozy Children's Charity needs your help.
- Tay Age Friendly Community Plan
- Find Volunteer Opportunities
County opens 2022 Age-Friendly Seniors Housing Grant Program
Accessible, Adaptable and Inclusive Designs for Occupants 60+ The 2022 Age-Friendly Seniors Housing Grant Application deadline for submissions is June 30, 2022.
Simcoe County LINX is a public transit system that links major urban hubs and local transit services in the County of Simcoe. The LINX transit system provides citizens and visitors reliable and courteous transit in clean, safe vehicles equipped with features to make them fully accessible.
View all LINX routes in Simcoe County
LINX Route 6 stops in Tay Township:
- Travels to/from Midland and Orillia
- Stops in Tay Township include:
- Victoria Harbour:
- Richard St. and Albert St. (heading to Midland or Orillia)
- Park St. and Industrial Rd. (heading to Midland or Orillia)
- 415 Sturgeon Bay Rd (heading to Orillia)
- Sturgeon Bay Rd. and Pine St (heading to Midland)
- Runs Monday to Friday (not on weekends or Stat Holidays)
- Starts at 8 am and runs every 60 minutes. Last bus leaves at 5 pm from Midland and 5:55 pm from Orillia.
- Current Schedule available by clicking here (or navigate to route 6 at linx.simcoe.ca)
- Pay with exact Cash or with LINX transit card (card info at linx.simcoe.ca)
- LINX + Service - If you are unable to use conventional public transit due to a physical disability or functional disability you may be eligible for travel on LINX PLUS+, the County of Simcoe's specialized transit service. For more information call 1-800-263-3199
Community Reach offers rides to people who do not have access to transportation or need accessible transportation. Call 705-528-6999 for rates or visit communityreach.ca for more information.
- 211 Information Service
- Canadian Red Cross Frozen Meals on Wheels Program
- Simcoe Muskoka Branch of the Red Cross - Telephone Assurance Program
- North Simcoe Seniors Directory
- Askennonia Senior Centre
- Chigamik Community Health Centre
- Ministry of Seniors Affairs
- County of Simcoe - Building an Age-Friendly Community
- Food and Grocery Support for Seniors
- Community Volunteer - Income Tax Program
- Assistive Device Exchange
- Simcoe County Affordable Housing Application
- 60 Maple Street & Other County Housing
- Vital Signs Report 2023
450 Park Street, PO Box 100
ON L0K 2A0
705-534-7248 ext. 240